ISO 9001—Quality Management
The ISO 9000 family addresses various aspects of quality management and contains some of ISO’s best known standards. The standards provide guidance and tools for companies and organizations who want to ensure that their products and services consistently meet customer’s requirements, and that quality is consistently improved.
ISO 9001:2015 sets out the criteria for a quality management system and is the only standard in the family that can be certified to (although this is not a requirement). It can be used by any organization, large or small, regardless of its field of activity. In fact, there are over one million companies and organizations in over 170 countries certified to ISO 9001.
This standard is based on a number of quality management principles including a strong customer focus, the motivation and implication of top management, the process approach and continual improvement. Using ISO 9001:2015 helps ensure that customers get consistent, good quality products and services, which in turn brings many business benefits.
More than one million businesses around the world are certified to ISO 9001. Obtaining this standard shows your commitment to providing the highest quality products or services to your customers.
Getting ISO 9001 certified can help you:
- Reduce quality problems
- Increase cost savings and productivity
- Enhance customer satisfaction
- Create greater demand for your products and services
- Make your business more competitive
- Make better decisions and improve employee morale
The ISO 9001 norm is frequently updated. The latest revision to the ISO 9001:2015 version offered a number of improvements over the previous standard.
- There is now greater consistency between the ISO 9001 standard and other norms in the ISO family.
- The new ISO 9001 standard requires businesses to use “risk-based thinking” to identify, consider and control the risks that are inherent in any system, process or function.
- The standard is more flexible and requires less documentation than previous versions.